Tuesday 19 October 2010

Harrington ends drought and wins

Ireland's Padraig Harrington won his first title for two years with a final round 69 at the Johor Open in Malaysia.

The 39-year-old finished on 20 under par, three shots clear of South Korean Noh Seung-yul, who fired a superb 65.

Harrington, who had been struggling with a sore neck, said: "It's always nice to win and it's even nicer when there's been a bit of a drought."

Colin Montgomerie, Europe's victorious Ryder Cup captain, also carded a 69 to share 11th place on 10 under.

After a two-hour delay caused by a thunderstorm, Harrington began the final day with a five-stroke advantage and three birdies in his first four holes seemed to have put the title beyond the reach of his rivals.

He dropped a shot after finding water at the fifth but three more birdies at 11, 13 and 14 tightened his grip still further and despite bogeys at two of the final three holes, Harrington was able to coast home for his first win since the 2008 USPGA Championship, the last of his three majors.


john

"I really preferred the conditions that were there in the last two days where it was windy and it was tough to go at all the pins," he said.

"Today was just perfect weather, perfect conditions.

"The course was in great shape and I knew people could make a lot of birdies out there so it was in my mindset that I had to make some birdies out there, even if I made some bogeys, I needed to make plenty of birdies."

Harrington's win completed a near-perfect couple of weeks, following on from Europe's Ryder Cup victory over the United States in Wales.

He acknowledged, however, that he had his fair share of luck on his way to collecting the winner's trophy.

"I would have to say that things went my way all four rounds this week. There is no doubt about it - it was my week to win.

"If you'd followed me for the four days, I don't think anybody would have questioned the fact that my name must have been written on this trophy before this tournament started," he added.

In contrast to Harrington's finish, 19-year-old runner-up Noh had birdies at the final three holes to consolidate his position at the top of the Asian Tour money list.

"I tried to follow Padraig. I had a very good start but so did he. I saw him go into the water on the fifth hole. I thought maybe I could catch him a little but he was too good," he commented