Saturday 23 October 2010

With $25 million off the table, Tseng focuses on No. 1 spot

Would you become a Chinese citizen for $25 million?

Lots of people would, in a heartbeat. $25 mil solves a whole lot of woes ... and probably buys you some fine digs in China, too. But Yani Tseng isn't among those people. Last month, she reportedly refused a sponsorship deal that would have paid her $25 million over five years, with the use of a private jet and luxury Beijing apartment thrown in.

Only catch is that Tseng, a Taiwanese citizen, would have to switch her citizenship to Chinese. But she rejected that deal straightaway.

Now, in Kuala Lumpur for the Sime Darby LPGA Open, Tseng said she was more focused on achieving the world No. 1 ranking than cashing in big early. She currently sits fourth, behind Ai Miyazato, Cristie Kerr and Jiyai Shin. 

However, when asked about the $25 mil, Tseng had an answer that you probably won't hear from too many athletes: "I don’t know if I’m qualified to receive so much money, I don’t know if I’m that capable," she said. "I hope in the future my results can be better or I’ve reached my target of becoming the world’s number one."

Still, she stressed that she has no innate objections to China. "It doesn’t matter which country I’m playing in," she said. "I feel that I’m bringing glory to ethnic Chinese across the world and I’m proud to be a Chinese." (You do know that China and Taiwan are under separate rule, right? Since 1949? Of course you do.)

Anyway, China? If you want to make that offer to some other folks, I'm sure we -- er, they -- would be willing to listen. 

Email Devil Ball Golf Buzz up! digg add to facebook delicious Twitter

« Prev Ian Poulter continues to revel in his Ryder Cup win

Next » Webb Simpson won't be needing that putter on this hole

Golf Byrd shoots 63, leads by 1 in Las Vegas Boyd cards 63, leads Parry by 2 in Spain Hjorth, J.Y. Lee share lead in Malaysia Montgomerie bruised in 4-vehicle crash Westwood, 4 major winners in Nedbank Els edges Toms to win Grand Slam of Golf More Golf News 12 Comments Post a Comment

1 - 12 of 12