Saturday 23 October 2010

Webb Simpson won't be needing that putter on this hole

By Jay Busbee

Nice shot here in the first round of the Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals Open, as Webb Simpson drops in an ace at the 231-yard eighth. Don't believe me? Observe:

Alas, that wasn't enough to put Simpson into the lead. But five other cats -- Robert Garrigus, Will MacKenzie, Michael Letzig, John Senden and Cameron Tringale -- are tied for first with 64s. Also in the mix: John Daly and Davis Love III at 66, Hunter Mahan at 67 and Rickie Fowler at 68.

Garrigus, along the way, gave us a little too much information. He conceded that on at least one hole, he may have surrendered a potential birdie because of a higher calling. "No. 9, I made par because I had to go to the bathroom so bad, I couldn’t even walk. I was walking down the fairway and I was thinking, 'I really need a restroom right now,'" he said afterward. "But I didn’t know if I was going to be